Common Name: Copper Leaf Ammania
Ammania Senegalensis is a new plant to the hobby whose red leaves make a captivating fore or mid-ground contrast to green foliage. This plant grows wavy-edged oval leaves alternating up its stem. The leaves are brightly colored and can display a range of coloration patterns, usually with dark, brick red being the predominant hue. Green, orange, yellow also tend to feature in this plant’s coloration.
To get the most desirable color and growth, you must provide high lighting and rich nutrient levels. High iron content will bring out more red tones in the plant. CO2 injection is not required for the cultivation of this plant but can help it grow more robustly. The plant can be grown submersed or emersed.
Propagation can be achieved by taking cuttings from the main stem of the plant that is replanted into the substrate.
- Photos show the plant in its emersed vs. submerged form. The form you receive will be based on availability and seasonality. If you receive an emersed plant, simply plant the stems in your aquarium substrate and new, submerged-grown leaves will grow within a few days.
- Do not make drastic changes to the aquarium. Unstable parameters will result in melt and rotting of the aquarium plant.
- Please be sure to remove this plant from its wrap. Remove the foam surrounding the roots and plant into a quality substrate. For instructions on how to properly prep “bunched“ aquarium plants, click here.
- CO2 injection will yield better growth.
- Please research appropriately to ensure your plant thrives.
Family Name: Onagraceae
Origin: Western and Central Africa
Light: Moderate to High
Growth Rate: Medium