Echinodorus Bleheri / Amazon Sword - Regular
Common Name: Amazon Sword
Average Size: 8-11"
Amazon sword plants are very common in the aquarium hobby, being that they are beautiful and easy to care for. They offer excellent and attractive coverage to the background of an aquascape. These plants have short stems that grow in a rosette, bearing long and ovoid leaves with a pointed tip. Their leaves are dark or bright green in color with prominent veins and slightly wavy shape.
Amazon sword plants can get pretty huge, making them a great fit for a large tank. Their large leaves can easily restrict light to other plants if they are not pruned regularly. These plants propagate through side shoots off of their leaves, which can be trimmed and replanted into the substrate. To control the size of your Amazon sword plant you can remove the side shoots and older leaves.
With a nutrient rich substrate these plants will tolerate most lighting conditions, but moderate to high lighting is ideal. CO2 injection is not necessary but will help the plant grow faster if desired. Amazon sword plants will grow submersed or emersed. Emersed plants produce lovely white flowers.
- Echinodorus is a very hardy species of aquatic plants. Most Echinodorus require nutrient-dense soil to thrive as they are heavy root feeders.
- Echinodorus grow fairly large and are more suitable for larger planted aquariums.
- Do not make drastic changes to the aquarium. Unstable parameters will result in melt and rotting of the aquarium plant.
- Please be sure to remove this plant from its pot. Remove the cotton surrounding the roots and plant into a quality substrate. For instructions on how to properly prep "potted" aquarium plants, click here.
- CO2 injection and quality aquarium soil will yield better growth.
- Please research appropriately to ensure your plant thrives.
Family Name: Alismataceae
Origin: South America
Co2: Not necessary
Propagation: Adventitious shoots
Growth rate: Fast