Common Name: AR
Alternanthera Reineckii is a popular choice for beginners due to the fact that its pretty easy to grow. Most red stem plants can prove difficult to get that vibrant red color without providing high CO2 and micronutrients. This plant can stay vibrant red with relative ease but if nutrients and lighting are severely lacking, the leaves can dull out to an orange hue.
It prefers high nitrates and high phosphates so dosing fertilizers such as UNS Plant Food will help speed up growth and keep coloration at its best.
- Alternanthera provides great coverage for sensitive fauna species and is a relatively easy choice for beginners who are looking for colored aquarium plants.
- Do not make drastic changes to the aquarium. Unstable parameters will result in melt and rotting of the aquarium plant.
- Please be sure to remove this plant from its wrap. Remove the foam surrounding the roots and plant into a quality substrate. For instructions on how to properly prep “bunched“ aquarium plants, click here.
- CO2 injection and quality aquarium soil will yield better growth.
- Please research appropriately to ensure your plant thrives.
Family Name: Amaranthaceae
Origin: Central/South America
Care: Easy to Moderate
Light: Medium to High
Propagation: Cut the stem and replant
Growth rate: Moderate to Fast