Java Fern Coral
Common Name: Java Fern Coral, Microsorum Pteropus Coral
Java Fern Coral, sometimes known as Java Fern Coral Reef, is a newer java fern variety in the planted tank hobby. This aquatic plant is similar to Java Fern Trident in appearance, but its leaf splits are more random and vary in each plant. Like other Java Ferns, Java Fern Coral is beginner friendly and adds a beautiful pop of green to a planted aquarium. Newer growth may come out pinkish-red and will change as the plant matures. Java Fern Coral is epiphytic and can be tied to stones and driftwood or left free-floating in the tank.
Java fern is one of the most popular aquarium plants in the hobby for its easy care and forgiving nature. Microsorum Pteropus can grow in low light conditions and a wide range of water parameters, but CO2 injection, stable water parameters and a quality aquarium plant fertilizer will boost its growth and appearance.
Java Fern Coral Specifications
Please note, all stats are provided as general guidelines. Factors such as height, size and overall success can vary depending on care and environment.
- Height: 3-6"
- Care: Easy
- Lighting: Low to medium
- CO2: Not required, but recommended
- Propagation: Separate and reattach
- Growth rate: Slow
- Java Fern is an epiphytic aquarium plant. This means it can grow fine when attached to aquascaping hardscape like driftwood and stones.
- Java Fern will propagate through its leaves. Dots on the underside of its leaves are normal and not a cause for concern.
- Do not make drastic changes to the aquarium. Unstable parameters will result in melt and rotting of the aquarium plant.
- Remove the cotton surrounding the roots and plant above a quality substrate. For instructions on how to properly prep aquarium plants, click here.
- Burying the rhizome will cause the plant to die
- CO2 injection will yield better growth.
- Please research appropriately to ensure your plant thrives.