Java Fern Gold Sparkle
Common Name: Java Fern Gold Sparkle, Microsorum Pteropus
Java Fern Gold Sparkle is a unique aquarium fern that is easy to take care of and will readily adapt to a wide range of aquarium conditions. Its hardy nature makes it a fantastic choice for beginner hobbyists who are just starting out with live plants in their aquariums or terrariums. This particular variation displays varying shades of green. Newer leaves tend to be lighter in color and slowly darken as the plant ages.
Like other species of Microsorum Pteropus, Java Fern Gold Sparkle is great for filling in empty spaces in the aquascape layout. This plant can be attached via its rhizome and does not need to be planted in soil to grow. Low to moderate lighting is suitable and if possible, CO2 injection will help boost health and growth rates.
- Java Fern is an epiphytic aquarium plant. This means it can grow fine when attached to aquascaping hardscape like driftwood and stones.
- Java Fern will propagate through its leaves. Dots on the underside of its leaves are normal and not a cause for concern.
- Do not make drastic changes to the aquarium. Unstable parameters will result in melt and rotting of the aquarium plant.
- Remove the cotton surrounding the roots and plant above a quality substrate. For instructions on how to properly prep aquarium plants, click here.
- Burying the rhizome will cause the plant to die
- CO2 injection will yield better growth.
- Please research appropriately to ensure your plant thrives.
Family Name: Polypodiaceae
Co2: Not Required
Propagation: Separate by Rhizome
Growth rate: Slow to Moderate