Common Name: Alternanthera Reineckii Lilacina, Alternanthera Lilacina
The Alternanthera Reineckii 'Lilacina' is a beautiful variety of Alternanthera Reineckii. The stems are a striking reddish-purple color that contrast well against their brownish green leaves. Compared to other Alternanthera Reineckii, Lilacina has narrower and longer leaves. When grown under ideal conditions, new leaves will have hues of pink to red color. Being a stem plant and due to its growth patterns, Alternanthera Lilacina is best suited as a mid or background plant. Similar to other AR varieties, the captivating red coloration will definitely add a refreshing change from the usual green aquascape.
To promote healthy growth, Alternanthera Lilacina should be planted in a tank with high quality plant substrate and a strong light. CO2 injection is highly recommended to achieve the most vibrant colors from this plant. Regular trimmings will help keep Alternanthera Lilacina compact and healthy. These trimmings can then be replanted as a form of propagation.
- Alternanthera provides great coverage for sensitive fauna species and is a relatively easy choice for beginners who are looking for colored aquarium plants.
- Do not make drastic changes to the aquarium. Unstable parameters will result in melt and rotting of the aquarium plant.
- Please be sure to remove this plant from its wrap. Remove the foam surrounding the roots and plant into a quality substrate. For instructions on how to properly prep “bunched“ aquarium plants, click here.
- CO2 injection and quality aquarium soil will yield better growth.
- Please research appropriately to ensure your plant thrives.
Family Name: Amaranthaceae
Origin: Central/South America
Care: Easy to Moderate
Light: Medium to High
Propagation: Cut stem and replant
Growth rate: Moderate to Fast