Alternanthera Red Broad Leaf
Common Name: Alternanthera Red Broad Leaf
Alternanthera Red Broad Leaf is a rare variant in the Alternanthera family. This aquatic stem plant features red stems and ribs alongside varying greenish-yellow hues. Like most Alternanthera species, Alternanthera Red Broad Leaf is a great beginner red plant as they're typically easier to keep than other red aquatic plants. Most red stem plants can prove difficult to get that vibrant red color without providing high CO2 and micronutrients. This plant can retain its reddish characteristics with relative ease but if nutrients and lighting are severely lacking, it has the potential to dull out.
Alternanthera Red Broad Leaf prefers high nitrates and high phosphates so dosing fertilizers such as UNS Plant Food will help speed up growth and keep coloration at its best.
- Alternanthera provide great coverage for sensitive species and are relatively easier choices for beginners who are looking for colored aquarium plants.
- Do not make drastic changes to the aquarium. Unstable parameters will result in melt and rotting of the aquarium plant.
- Please be sure to remove this plant from its wrap. Remove the foam surrounding the roots and plant into a quality substrate. For instructions on how to properly prep “bunched“ aquarium plants, click here.
- CO2 injection and quality aquarium soil will yield better growth.
- Please research appropriately to ensure your plant thrives.
Family Name: Amaranthaceae
Origin: Central/South America
Care: Easy to Moderate
Light: Medium to High
Propagation: Cut stem and replant
Growth rate: Moderate to Fast