Bacopa Caroliniana Red
Common Name: Bacopa Red, Lemon Bacopa, Bacopa Colorata
Bacopa Caroliniana Red is a well recognized aquatic stem plant which is both easy to grow and beautiful in an aquascape. The plant is typically green but with the addition of iron and micronutrients, the tips of new growth can exhibit shades of red.
This plant can be great for beginners because it is hardy and does not require CO2 injection. It does prefer a nutrient-rich environment and clean water. Bacopa requires moderate light or the lower parts of the stems. It is propagated through cuttings that easily take root in the substrate. The stems can be grown submersed or emersed and will bloom tiny pink and white flowers above water.
- Photos show the plant in its emersed vs. submerged form. The form you receive will be based on availability and seasonality. If you receive an emersed plant, simply plant the stems in your aquarium substrate and new, submerged-grown leaves will grow within a few days.
- Click to learn more about Emersed vs. Submerged-Grown Aquatic Plants for Aquascaping.
- Bacopa is extremely hardy aquarium plants and is a great beginner choice. However, its leaves are fragile and should be handled with care.
- CO2 injection and quality aquarium soil will yield better growth.
- Please research appropriately to ensure your plant thrives.
- Please be sure to remove this plant from its lead bunch. Remove the cotton surrounding the roots and plant into a quality substrate. For instructions on how to properly plant "lead bunch" aquarium plants, click here.
Family Name: Plantaginaceae
Light: Moderate to High
Co2: Not necessary
Growth rate: Slow