Java Fern Broad Leaf
Common Name: Java Fern Broad Leaf, Microsorum Pteropus
Hardy with an undemanding nature, Microsorum Pteropus Broadleaf aka Java Fern Broadleaf is quite a popular choice in the hobby due to its beauty and easy care. They can grow in low light conditions and a wide range of water parameters. This particular species grows rather large, so they are suitable for bigger planted aquariums.
The plant can be attached directly onto driftwood, rocks or any aquarium decoration using thread or glue. Make sure to keep the rhizomes above your substrate or the plant can begin to rot. Propagation is easy and straightforward; simply cut or pull apart rhizomes to be replanted.
- Java Fern is an epiphytic aquarium plant. This means it can grow fine when attached to aquascaping hardscape like driftwood and stones.
- Java Fern will propagate through its leaves. Dots on the underside of its leaves are normal and not a cause for concern.
- Do not make drastic changes to the aquarium. Unstable parameters will result in melt and rotting of the aquarium plant.
- Remove the cotton surrounding the roots and plant above a quality substrate. For instructions on how to properly prep aquarium plants, click here.
- Burying the rhizome will cause the plant to die
- CO2 injection will yield better growth.
- Please research appropriately to ensure your plant thrives.
Family Name: Polypodiaceae
Co2: Not Required
Propagation: Separate by Rhizome
Growth rate: Slow to Moderate