Common Name: AR
Alternanthera Reineckii Variegatus is a beautiful looking variety of the well-known Alternanthera Reineckii. The most unique aspect of the Variegatus species is the ruffles found along the edges of the leaves. The leaves are bright green, and when grown under ideal conditions, the stems will turn a reddish-brown color. Alternanthera Reineckii Variegatus adds great texture and a nice pop of color to any scape.
Similar to other Alternanthera Reineckii species, this variety does best grown under medium to high light. Higher light intensities encourage red coloration to form on the stems and veins. CO2 injection is required for this plant to thrive. Being a stem plant, regular trimmings will help keep the plant compact and healthy. Trimmings can be replanted as a form of propagation.
Please note that photos are a depiction of what you may receive. Submerged grown stems can display pink, red, or brown hues.
- Alternanthera provide great coverage for sensitive species and are relatively easier choices for beginners who are looking for colored aquarium plants.
- Do not make drastic changes to the aquarium. Unstable parameters will result in melt and rotting of the aquarium plant.
- Please be sure to remove this plant from its wrap. Remove the foam surrounding the roots and plant into a quality substrate. For instructions on how to properly prep “bunched“ aquarium plants, click here.
- CO2 injection and quality aquarium soil will yield better growth.
- Please research appropriately to ensure your plant thrives.
- Plants may appear different from the product picture.
Family Name: Amaranthaceae
Care: Easy to Moderate
Light: Medium to High
Propagation: Cut stem and replant
Growth rate: Moderate to Fast