Common Name: Aflame Sword
The Aflame sword is a highly sought after Echinodorus that's considered quite rare in the hobby. Some argue that that the awesome name of this plant provided inspiration for the flaming sword used by Beric Dondarrion and Thoros of Myr in Game of Thrones. The leaves of this unique plant can range from green to red depending on the growing conditions and the addition of iron can help in bringing out the robust coloration.
Propagation is simple and straightforward like other stem plants. Simply cut along the stem and replant the cuttings.
- Echinodorus is a very hardy species of aquatic plants. Most Echinodorus require nutrient-dense soil to thrive as they are heavy root feeders.
- Echinodorus grow fairly large and are more suitable for larger planted aquariums.
- Do not make drastic changes to the aquarium. Unstable parameters will result in melt and rotting of the aquarium plant.
- Please be sure to remove this plant from its pot. Remove the cotton surrounding the roots and plant into a quality substrate. For instructions on how to properly prep "potted" aquarium plants, click here.
- CO2 injection and quality aquarium soil will yield better growth.
- Please research appropriately to ensure your plant thrives.
Family Name: Haloragaceae
Origin: North America
Care: Easy to Moderate
Light: Medium to High
Propagation: Cut the stem and replant
Growth rate: Moderate to Fast