Echinodorus Big Bear
Common Name: Big Bear Sword
Echinodorus Big Bear Sword is a rare type of Amazon Sword which green leaves with red markings throughout. Like most swords, they should be planted directly into the substrate. When using inert substrates such as sand or gravel, it is important to supplement the plants with root tabs as Echinodorus are heavy root feeders. The plant can be grown both emersed and submerged and often times, new leaves can grow to the top above the water line. Overall, this plant is easy and undemanding and very suitable for larger tanks.
- Echinodorus is a very hardy species of aquatic plants. Most Echinodorus require nutrient-dense soil to thrive as they are heavy root feeders.
- Echinodorus grow fairly large and are more suitable for larger planted aquariums.
- Do not make drastic changes to the aquarium. Unstable parameters will result in melt and rotting of the aquarium plant.
- Please be sure to remove this plant from its pot. Remove the cotton surrounding the roots and plant into a quality substrate. For instructions on how to properly prep "potted" aquarium plants, click here.
- CO2 injection and quality aquarium soil will yield better growth.
- Please research appropriately to ensure your plant thrives.
Family Name: Alismataceae
Origin: South America
Co2: Not Required
Propagation: Separate new plantlets from the root
Growth rate: Slow to Moderate