Echinodorus Yellow Sun
Common Name: Echinodorus Yellow Sun, Amazon Sword
Echinodorus Yellow Sun is a hybridized species. This particular variation grows quite large and is suitable for larger aquarium sizes. When grown in aquarium settings, this aquatic plant displays a yellow-green color with a brownish patina or specks throughout. New leaves are pale red and will continue to change color as the plant matures. Overall growth will vary depending on the condition in which the plant is grown and like most swords, this species can be grown in aquatic and emersed conditions. No matter the placement, sword plants are heavy root feeders and should be planted in nutritious substrate to support healthy growth.
Root tabs may be added if the plant needs an additional nutrient boost or when it grows to larger sizes. Sword plants are generally beginner-friendly and will adapt to a wide range of growing conditions. It is recommended to prune any damaged or imperfect leaves to support growth and to encourage the plant to produce new leaves. Sword plants propagate on their own with time and will eventually divide at the base to be separated and replanted.
- Echinodorus is a hardy species of aquatic plants. Most Echinodorus require nutrient-dense soil to thrive as they are heavy root feeders.
- Echinodorus grow fairly large and are more suitable for larger planted aquariums.
- Do not make drastic changes to the aquarium. Unstable parameters will result in melt and rotting of the aquarium plant.
- Please be sure to remove this plant from its pot. Remove the cotton surrounding the roots and plant into a quality substrate. For instructions on how to properly prep "potted" aquarium plants, click here.
- CO2 injection and quality aquarium soil will yield better growth.
- Please research appropriately to ensure your plant thrives.
Family Name: Alismataceae
Origin: South America
Care: Easy to Moderate
Light: Medium to High
Propagation: Herbaceous division and runners
Growth rate: Moderate to Fast