Common Name: Ludwigia Repens
Ludwigia Repens is an easy plant to keep, making it a great option for tank geeks who want to add color to their aquascape without the hassle associated with the colorful plants. These plants are ideal for the front zones of the tank. Their vivid color creates a superb focal point. Ludwigia plants have oval leaves that grow in alternating pairs along a tilted stem. The leaves are gold, orange, or red, depending on tank conditions. These plants are very attractive when planted in bunches of 10-12 stems.
Ludwigia is a versatile plant, but to get the desirable bright colors, you must provide high lighting and nutrient levels. High iron content will bring out more red tones in the plant. CO2 injection is not required for the cultivation of this plant, but can help it grow more robustly. The plant can be grown submersed or emersed, but it is much more difficult to cultivate in the emersed form.
Propagation can be achieved by taking cuttings from the main stem of the plant that are replanted into the substrate.
- Ludwigia can be very fragile. Be sure to handle this aquarium plant with care.
- Do not make drastic changes to the aquarium. Unstable parameters will result in melt and rotting of the aquarium plant.
- Remove the cotton surrounding the roots and plant into a quality substrate. For instructions on how to properly prep aquarium plants, click here.
- CO2 injection and quality aquarium soil will yield better growth.
- Please research appropriately to ensure your plant thrives.
Family Name: Onagraceae
Co2: Not necessary
Growth Rate: Fast