Common Name: Spike Moss
Selaginella Wallichi is another species of Selaginella that is similar to African Club Moss but grows much larger in size and in a different style. Unlike Selaginalla Wallichi, this particular species grows sporadically and will spread throughout the entire enclosure if left to grow without pruning. Like other terrarium plants, Selaginella Wallichi shouldn't be completely submerged but does love staying moist with good levels of humidity. Soil thickness should be a few inches as Spike Moss will root fairly deep once it takes off. As long as it is kept out of direct lighting and the previous conditions are provided, it is typically forgiving and easy to care for. Spike moss is durable and great for livestock that tends to get rowdy in their enclosures!
- This is not an aquarium plant. Submerging it completely will result in the death of this plant.
- Selaginella Plana works well in terrarium-like setups and should be partially shaded with good humidity.
- Remove the cotton surrounding the roots and plant into quality soil. For instructions on how to properly prep aquarium plants, click here.
- Yellowing of leaves indicates overwatering.
- Please research appropriately to ensure your plant thrives.
Family Name: Lycopodiaceae
Origin: Africa, Brazil
Light: Low to Medium
Growth rate: Slow to Moderate